Sunday, April 18, 2010

Post for April 13, 2010


Well I always knew that I needed to speak English in order to be a law librarian in this country. But, I never gave it a second thought, because I always thought I spoke English rather well. However, with technology changing so rapidly, it is not only creating an entirely new vocabulary, but a whole new way of communicating. Less than 15 years ago Google did not even exist, now googling is actual word in the dictionary. Only a few years ago the words tweeting, texting and WiFi did not exist as we know them today. But it does not end there, not only is there a whole new vocabulary, there is a whole new way of communicating. Twenty years ago people talked in person, by phone, postal mail and maybe by fax. Now there is e mail, instant messaging, face book, tweeting, blogging, texting and I am sure I missed a few. Now if this isn’t enough, when communicating using IMs, texting and what have you, you have to know what lol, brb, omg and countless other abbreviations stand for. This all makes me wonder if I will be asked if I speak Cybernese in my next interview.

1 comment:

  1. It really does seem like there is either a new technology, website or other gadget that is introduced every month. What can be even more troubling is that often by the time you really learned something, its replaced with something new and different.

    ReplyDelete