Sunday, March 21, 2010

Post for March 16, 2010


Politics! It is not what you know, it is who you know! This is the world we live in and if you want to find a job you better start networking. I knew this was the case in a lot of professions and last week’s class taught me that being a law librarian is no different. In last week’s class we discussed the importance of joining organizations and meeting people and I am so glad we did. So let me take a moment to thank our wonderful teacher (I am not above brownnosing) and guest speakers, because last week’s class convinced me that I need to start getting involved. I don’t have any library experience, so for me joining AALL and CALL are extremely important and I plan on joining right away.

4 comments:

  1. George-I agree with your post. We should join CALL and AALL.. but I want to join several library professional groups (e.g.CALL) but I struggle finding the time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "To-morrow, and to-morrow, and to-morrow,
    Creeps in this petty pace from day to day,
    To the last syllable of recorded time" so it would seem.

    I definitely think time is the main reason why getting involved with these groups is so difficult. Whether you are employed, attending classes, or both, there are not vast sums of time to stay involved, which is disheartening when networking really is the best way to stay employed and in the know.

    This issue also plays in to having little or no time to joins committees within my workplace, even distancing me more from seeing how other depts. function, showing my enthusiasm, or getting my ideas put into action.

    Multi-tasking doesn't begin to describe it_

    ReplyDelete
  3. The great thing about networking with librarians is that, contrary to the stereotype, they really are an outgoing, personable bunch who seem happy to welcome new people into their fold. At the CALL luncheon, I was approached by a number of professionals who gave me their cards and were more than willing to help me expand my network. The speakers we've had have been similarly open and welcoming. I’ve already gone on an informational interview as a result of contacts I've made; it was a great experience. We should all avail ourselves of these networking and association opportunities.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also posted about the importance of networking - focusing on the importance for finding jobs. The other important thing about these organizations (after we're all fortunate enough to hopefully find great jobs)is that it links librarians together. Many of us will likely work in libraries where we are either solo librarians or working with a very small staff. Being a member in librarian organizations will allow us to expand our resources in addition to being able to help other librarians who need to expand their resources. I like the collaborative spirit that this invokes and see it as a core element to the field of librarianship.

    ReplyDelete